From:
Possum Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 00:57:36 -0400
Dori Zook wrote:
>The goal? To lose 20-25 pounds between now and my trip to the UK which
begins around October 20, or in close to three months.  Just 8 pounds a
month will do the trick, a reasonable expectation.

Dori, That is a conservative expectation. The past two weeks I have lost 20
pounds and have had to replace my cloths due to the fact they are way too
loose now :-) In the fist 7 days, the only thing I ate was meat. I ate beef,
chicken, coyote, whistle pig (That is a ground hog to you flat-landers), and
possum. This week I am eating pemican(venison jerky and fat and dried fig)
with a handfull of wild greens(mostly dandilion and poke) and wild tomatoes.
I have also had a couple of handfulls of wild blackberries as a snack 2
days.

>If I'm not mistaken, yams are paleo, at least by some people's standards.

It is doubtfull a caveman would have had yams to eat. Wild yams are
extremely bitter. The yams and sweet potatoes we eat today taste nothing
like the wild ones.

> While I enjoy all foods the listed, they don't kick in the lust-for-more I
notice when eating, say, blueberries or grapes.

I must confess, I am a blueberry-aholic myself!

>I've also noticed that all fruits make my tongue burn.  Anyone have a clue
on that one?

It could be the acid in the fruits. Being in ketosis can make your tounge
more sensitive to the acid content of fruits. Commercial grown fruits tend
to have a higher acid content as this extends shelf life. Try eating wild
fruits such as paw-paw, wild figs, persimons, or rose hips. Cattail is also
good eating this time of year.

>I plan to eat 1200-1400 cal/day, the closer to 1200 the better.

Gee that sounds low!

> I'm rather cold-blooded; my office feels like a fridge and I wear suit
coats and long sleeves while other staffers are in summer wear.

Hmmm, what is your blood pressure? In the past 2 weeks my blood pressure has
dropped rather dramatically from hypertensive to the low side of normal. I
was very hot natured, but now I am not! I can work outside in the mid
afternoon with no problems. I was freezing out people riding with me in my
truck, but I haven't even turned on my AC in a week! I can't wait to see how
I will tolorate cold weather now. BTW, BP today was 110/70, pulse 50, resp
8, temp 98.5

>I cannot, however, do my own bloodwork so they may be called upon for some
expertise.  Maybe not.

If there is a medical school near you, they will do any blood work you want
for a modest fee. You can also go to an independant lab.

> A primary reason for switch-hitting is the fact that the back yard
vegetable garden will soon be ripe for pickin' and I can't give away
EVERYTHING I've grown.

I wish I had that problem. The drought killed off almost my whole garden

Kevin Raper
Piedmont, SC