From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 21:39:46 EST
Any thoughts on whether the problems some people experience with Atkins or
other ultra low dietary regimes is the fact that one goes from one extreme to
another and the change is simply too abrupt.  I believe this is why
Mackarness, Groves and others advocate anywhere from 50  to 70 carbs. I don't
believe that ketogenic diets are harmful, but perhaps for some people, a more
gradual drop in carbs would be less of a shock to the body.  My experience is
that the 2 week ketogenic induction on Atkins gives fast results as far as
weight loss (a big psyochological advantage for a dieter) and superior
curbing of hunger. Because of this, I began to use the induction as a crutch
-- ie do well for a stretch, then binge and use the induction for a week or
two without giving a thought to the long term ramifications.  Atkins' latest
book (the fully updated New Diet Revolution 2002 edition) cautions against
this kind of abuse of the induction phase.  (I'd wish he'd included this info
in his earlier books.) I am now going to try around 70 to 80 carbs per day
and increase high intensity exercise.  If the lard refuses to budge-- I will
gradually decrease carbs.