From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:22:12 -0800
Don Wiss wrote:

> I was curious just what sort of medical/health problems people can
> attribute to corn. I know about migraine headaches and arthritis. What
> others are there?

Pellagra is the most serious problem associated with corn consumption.
It
is a deficiency of a certain B vitamin due to the absorbtion and
elimination of this substance by the corn. See:
                    "Plague of Corn"
                    by Daphne Roe
                    Hardcover (June 1973)
                    Cornell Univ Pr; ISBN: 0801407737

Also corn is the most common source of aflatoxin in the diet.  In
recent
tests, 63% of the Texas corn crop was deemed unfit for human
consumption
because of levels above 20 ppb (parts per billion).  Animals such as
cattle and dogs are allowed to eat 300 ppb.  This substance comes from
asperilla(sp) rust and causes pancreatic, liver and esophical cancers.
This rust is the black stuff you can see on corn husks and peanut
shells
in some stores.  Heavy irrigation or weather conditions can cause very
high levels of this condition.  It has also been found in cows milk
from
animals fed contaiminated corn.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"