From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:51:15 EST
Christy wrote:
> Very true and recognisable. Food as comfort and double that with the
sedating
effects of carbs........ Instant tranquilizer.
I'm still fighting my urges to snack until I drop. Somehow I went wrong last
year
while on vacation in the USA and never really got back to track again. Will
keep
trying as it's not doing my health and weight any good .

They say that when we start eating compulsively, we are trying to block out
some other upsetting thought. For example, we may eat when we're angry or sad
to distract us from the problem that is making us angry or sad. We substitute
the problem of our eating and our weight for the real problem.  Since our
eating is theoretically controllable, this is a more comfortable thing to
worry about than the real problem, which may be completely out of our control.

You might want to think about your trip to the USA when your eating became
very compulsive, and see if you can recall any uncomfortable feelings that
came up that you may be trying to avoid.  If you can figure out what's
bothering you, you may be able to stop turning to food for a distraction.

     - Sheryl