From:
Chuck Spindler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 13:19:28 -0500
Suet is not the same as lard.  Suet, specifically, is the fat that
surrounds a cow's kidneys.  It is a very white, dry, crumbly fat.  You
usually can't find it in most "rank and file" grocery stores, but most
good butcher's shops will either have it or can get it for you.  If it
has to be special ordered, it usually costs a little something, but if
you have a relationship with a good butcher, they'll generally give it
to you for free.

Special note to folks in Michigan:  I recently saw suet which the
butchers had packaged and put out in the general self-service meat area
in a Meijer's store in Muskegon.  I thought this was odd (but cool) and
I don't know if it's a regular occurrence and/or if you'd find it across
the Meijer chain.

I'd be curious about what other's on the list think about Suet vs.
regular beef body fat when used in Pemmican.  I've used both since I
didn't originally know what suet was - I thought it was just another
name for beef fat.  Since I became "enlightened" and began using real
suet, I'm not sure if my Pemmican is quite as rich or tasty.  What do
others think?

Chuck