From:
Arthur McConnachie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 10:39:15 -0600
I've had prostate problems - flow problems since childhood and infections
since 1990 that don't go away without antibiotics (Levaquin works, Cipro can
damage some people's joints - it started damaging mine after the third time
I took it).

Things that bother me are:

1. Beer, champagne - anything with yeast gives me the infection within a
week (wine does not - the alcohol content rises to where most of the yeast
is dead)

2. Caffeine - slows the flow (the more cola or coffee you drink, the worse
it gets)

3. Red/cayenne pepper - worsens the infection

4. Some fruit juices (e.g. citrus) and fruits (e.g. grapes) - worsen the
infection (but don't bother me if I don't have it).

5. Constipation - slows the flow and increases infection chances due to
pressure put on the prostate by a bulging, slow-moving colon.

Things that prevent infection and increase flow:

1. Drink pure water and lots of it, but stop early in the evening if you
want to sleep the night through.

2. Eat paleo, especially avoiding all grains. Flow is noticeably improved
after three weeks of consistent paleo eating.

3. Avoid yeast-containing foods and all grains (no infection for me in over
a year thanks to this one!)

4. Never get constipated. Eating mainly boneless, skinless chicken breasts
and tropical fruit is asking for trouble. When you eat meat, particularly
lean meat, make sure that vegetables take up 3/4 the space on your plate for
the necessary fiber to keep you regular.

5. Saw Palmetto does increase flow. Make sure you get one listing 85% fatty
acids and also sterols, not just the plant itself. Some brands seem to work
better than others. I know that the brand Solaray works.

6. Take 1 gram of vitamin C crystals a day to ward off infection.

7. Learn to control your breathing to get the flow going. Suggestion - it's
easier to urinate sitting down rather than standing, and walking around for
a bit after sitting a long time helps too.

I don't ever have the burning sensation while urinating. That might be sign
of infection. A doctor visit may be in order. My prostatitis NEVER went away
without antibiotics.

More info at www.prostate.org

Best of luck,

Arthur McConnachie