From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:37:01 -0400
Hi Hughett;

>Is cold-pressed the same as expeller-pressed?  If not,
>which do I want?

This seems to be the same as mechanically pressed although not necessarily
heat-free and therefore not truly cold-pressed. See:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/oldnop/nop2000/nosb%20recommedations/Hand-labl-proce
ss%20recomm/Lableling/oilextract.htm

Also of interest;

http://waltonfeed.com/omega/wht-oil.html

>I understand that cooking or heating flax seed
>destroys the Omega-3 fat ....but what does it turn
>into, and is it actually unhealthful, or merely not as
>good?

Visit http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/ for everything you want to know about flax
- but I believe that trans-fatty acids can be caused from heated Omega three
acids.

Marilyn