From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 07:55:00 -0400
On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Justin Hasselman wrote:

> KEN:
> I'm not sure that it has been established in any definitive way that if you
> are in ketosis, then blood sugar from carbohydrates automatically goes
> straight to replenishing glycogen as opposed to other uses.   (But I could
> be wrong, and if so, I'm sure I'll see a long Todd post with many abstracts!
> :-) :-)  )

I don't have any references handy, but I think it has been
established that people who have been in ketosis can occasionally
have significant amounts of carbs without ceasing to be in
ketosis.  This is based mainly on Lyle McDonald's stuff on the
lowcarb list.  If it's correct, it suggests that the incoming
glucose is being sent directly to replenish glycogen reserves.
It makes sense that this would be so, since fast-twitch muscle
fibers need glucose, and these are needed for high-intensity,
explosive activity.  A glycogen-depleted body is in a vulnerable
condition, incapable of peak performance (Although the glycogen
reserves would be topped off eventually anyway by
gluconeogenesis, but more slowly).

Todd Moody