From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:18:52 -0500
On Jul 22, 2014, at 12:37 PM, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Jim, when you say three kinds of weight loss, are you thinking of three methods? It seems to me that  ‎the three kinds of weight loss can only be fat loss, water loss, and muscle loss, and all real-world weight loss involves all three, in different ratios.

You could also add bone loss to that list.

I suppose what I was trying to say is:

1) Water weight is lost when you remove non-paleo foods from the diet, whether via fasting or following a paleo diet.  Water is of course retained to help the body deal with the toxins inherent in foreign, non-paleo foods.  (I’ve gotten to the point where I judge the paleo-ness of what I eat by how my wedding band fits on my finger.  It’s a really nice barometer).

2) Fat loss is simply a function of the amount of carbohydrates consumed.  Carbs are the answer to fat loss, the end all, be all — paleo or no.  There is a tiny twist — well, I wouldn’t call it tiny — in that consumed protein acts as carbs when the body converts excess amounts of to glucose and you get pulled out of ketosis.

That’s how you lose the weight you want to (i.e. not protein).  Water weight by eliminating or reducing non-paleo foods.  And fat by reducing carbs or excess protein.

Jim