From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:15:35 -0500
On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:12:31 -0800, Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 >have they been bleached ( a walnut not b;leached have a definite brown
color
 >instead of the very light brown as usual .
 >walnuts are
 >particularly sensitive to oxydation overtime
 >jean-claude

The walnuts I ate were very light brown and quite easy to crack, so
according to your description, they were probably bleached. But I doubt
that they were oxidized in sufficient degree, because they tasted fine, but
then maybe it is me who doesn't know how unoxidized walnuts taste like. I
think that's the case because once I used to eat shelled hazelnuts from a
certain manufacturer. Then I ate unshelled hazelnuts from an
other producer
and after that I couldn't eat shelled hazelnuts from the first business any
more, because they tastet awful. I guess that shows that taste is relative.
Perhaps that also indicates that the shelled hazelnuts were more or less
oxidized.

I don't eat walnuts anymore. I've also stopped eating hazelnuts. When I
started eating nuts my desire for meat and animal fat decreased. Now, after
a couple of days without nuts I feel like eating a lot more meat and fat
again. However, one day I would like to taste a walnut directly from the
tree or bush or whatever they grow on. I'll find that out.

/Fredrik