Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 23:46:09 -0500
<As for evolutionary speed (mentioned in another message), sometimes it
does happen fast.  Mosquitos have evolved to be resistant to DDT, bacteria
have evolved resistance to certain drugs, etc.  All of these are related
to modern inventions in the last century or so, much less the last few
thousand years.> --Robert Kesterson

> *** Right, but mosquitos can have multiple generations per month, and
> bacteria can have multiple generations per day, so both can
> respond to
> evolutionary pressures much more quickly than can humans, who
> have multiple
> generations per century.
>
> --Carrie

Right, so when I ask whether "rapid evolution" is the mechanism that
advocates of neolithic foods like dairy use to explain why these foods would
be healthy, I'm not referring to the weeks or months it takes for genetic
changes to occur in mosquitoes bombarded by pesticides, I'm referring to the
hypothesis that significant human digestive adaptations could take place in
under 30 to 40 thousand years.