From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 19:06:24 -0400

On Tue, 12 May 2009 08:53 Jim Swayze wrote:

>> I was hoping we might contain our excoriation of
>> a book's content and arguments until we have read it.
>>
>> Keith
>
>A fair response to William's comments.  What do you say about Wiley's?
>
>Jim Swayze
>www.fireholecanyon.com

Well, since you asked, I won't know till I have read
Wrangham's book. Wiley refers to DHA being "a key factor"
in the process of Homo sapiens encephalization. Let's see
what Wrangham says about all of what he identifies as the
"key factors". Wiley is bound to be right in that there are
a number of factors. Which ones has Wrangham listed?
How does he rank their relative importance at the various
evolutionary stages?

I'm not supporting Wrangham, but I do get disappointed by
people who argue solely on the basis of their prejudices
(that is, judging a book's arguments and evidence prior to
reading the book). I'd prefer that people on a discussion list
(it's not a "preaching list") hold out the possibility that they can
refine and improve their OWN position through discussion,
research and then reflection rather than merely persuading
OTHERS by the intransigence of their own position and contempt
for other approaches.

I notice praise for the book by Edward Wilson and Matt Ridley.
These two know more about human evolution than I will ever
know - or could even understand. With their praise, I'm prepared
to read "Catching Fire" with an open mind.

All of the above is a general observation and should not be
read or taken as a criticism of any individual - it's not
intended to be. And I can assure the two people who might
feel they are being criticized that I have great respect for
them and often value their contributions here.

Keith