From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:53:07 -0800
> Or can it be that carnivores have a different kind
> of dentition?

I don't follow. Humans are omnivorous - we have teeth
that allow multiple tasks - our teeth can tear, bite,
crush, slice, grind - seems an almost endless list. Of
course our teeth would not be exactly like a
carnivore's teeth. But our teeth are still more
similar to the carnivore's than they are to a true
herbivore.

> Whole Url at:
> http://www.paleodiet.com/comparison.html
> This sheet compares humans, dogs and sheep.
> Sheeps are grazing grass, uncomparable to humans,
> dogs are not mandatory
> carnivore but still have cutting type molars like
> carnivore.
> Why not better compare humans with cats (carnivore)
> and gorillas
> (vegetarian)?

The chart was designed to illustrate the difference
between a grain eater and a meat eater. We fall
somewhere between the gorilla and the cat.
Similarities to both.

> Or, humans like dogs only can chew vertical.
> Can you grind a nut or not?

We grind because we do not have the highly caustic
stomach acid the dog does. We masticate, the dog gulps
(mostly). However, I do have a Cocker Spaniel who like
to "savor" his food (I know, he's weird), so he chews
much more like a human than a dog (like I said - he's
weird). My Springer, on the other hand, gets his food
"out of the way" so he can concentrate on play.