From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 06:27:17 -0500
BTW, I was fascinated to learn the other day that the symptoms we
associate with a cold are not directly attributable to the virus.  They
are, in fact, the symptoms caused by the immune system as it runs through
a battery of defences to fight the infection.

I had thought that the fact that Id not "had" a cold for years was because
I was healthy and had good defences.  Not necessarily, it seems.  I may
actually have had a cold, but my immune system was ready for it and able
to attack and defeat it without running through the full battery of
counter-attacks.  In fact, those twinges of a sore throat which I thought
for an hour or so were a cold coming on, were probably just that: a cold
coming on but then licked by the immune system.

Keith