From:
Ben Liberman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2011 13:32:40 -0600
At 11:23 PM -0500 11/6/11, Keith Thomas wrote:
>Can we have contributions, please, from those of us who are concerned about vitamin D intake as to:
>
>(1) Whether you regard regular vitamin D intake is important enough to act upon

Yes.  There is a wealth of Vitamin D information at http://www.grassrootshealth.net

They also have a chart that shows how the incidence of various diseases
decreases as blood levels of Vitamin D rise.

"Disease Incidence Prevention by Serum 25(OH)D Level"
http://www.grassrootshealth.net/media/download/disease_incidence_prev_chart_032310.pdf

>(2) If you do, what do you do to boost your vitamin D intake during winter

I hear that lifeguards on the beach in southern California have serum levels around 80 ng/mL which is the level that I aim for.  I am currently taking 12,000 iu/day of D3 and my latest lab work came in around 67 now that I am no longer spending much time in the sun (fall in Chicago).  I will probably increase it by 5,000 for the winter as I did last year.

Levels are individual and I recommend to friend that they set intake based on what their labs show.

>(3) Whether you regard the strategy you use to maintain your vitamin D levels as "paleo"?

No, but I am not wedded to 'paleo', being a result oriented guy.

I do not live near enough to the equator where I can get generate adequate levels by being in the sun.
I do not live near the sea and eat nice oily fish every day in order to get it from my diet.

>(4) What is your opinion and your experience of sun lamps?

I prefer supplements, and choose to forgo the benefits of UV exposure because of potential problems with UV exposure.

>Incidentally, I checked the USDA nutrient analysis website with a view to comparing the vitamin D content of different foods and found it's simply not reported - at least in the foods I checked - which included raw wild salmon.

Doesn't seem to be much out there at self.com either
http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-vitamin%20d000000000000000000000.html

Some other things that I have come across:
------------
"Vitamin D Prevents Cancer" [30 minutes], a video from University of California TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ-qekFoi-o

Here is a quote from the description:

"In a new study, researchers at the UCSD School of Medicine and Moores Cancer Center used a complex
computer prediction model to determine that intake of vitamin D3 and calcium would prevent 58,000 new
cases of breast cancer and 49,000 new cases of colorectal cancer annually in the US and Canada. The
researchers model also predicted that 75% of deaths from these cancers could be prevented with adequate
intake of vitamin D3 and calcium."
------------
Here are more Vitamin D videos from the University of California at San Diego:
http://www.ucsd.tv/series/index.aspx?show=show&seriesnumber=520

There is more info about Vitamin D at the Vitamin D Council: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Here is another video:

"The Vitamin D Pandemic and its Health Consequences"
http://www.uvadvantage.org/portals/0/pres/

presented by Dr. Michael Holick, PhD, MD, Professor of medicine, physiology and biophysics
and director of the General Clinical Research Center at Boston University Medical Center.
Keynote address at the opening ceremony of the 34th European Symposium on Calcified Tissues,
Copenhagen 5 May, 2007

Interview with Dr. Michael Holick on Jimmy Moore's podcast, Feb. 10, 2011 [39 minutes]
http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/3668/dr-michael-holick-the-vitamin-d-expert-episode-443/

and an article about the relationship between vitamins D and K which claims that "current research points to the central role of vitamins D and K to ensure optimal calcification of bones while preventing pathologic calcification of arteries".

Brittle Bones and Hardened Arteries: The Hidden Link
By Julius Goepp, MD
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/sep2010_Brittle-Bones-Hardened-Arteries_01.htm

There are some very interesting citations in there about the results of studies on high dose K2 and reversal of osteoporosis while simultaneously reversing calcification of other tissues in the body.

--
 [log in to unmask]     Ben Liberman