From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:56:17 +0100
At 22:38 1999-11-27 EST, >Michele wrote:

I wrote:
>> No! GI is mesured on the cardbohydrate content of the food,
>
>This information is wrong.  GI is not measured according to carb content,

From http://mendosa.com/gifactor.html:

To date hundreds of volunteers, both diabetics and others, have participated
in the clinical trials that form the basis of our knowledge of the glycemic
index. The test food that they eat is 50 grams of carbohydrate. For example,
to test boiled spaghetti, the scientists give their subjects 200 grams of
spaghetti, which according to standard food composition tables provides 50
grams of carbohydrate. The scientists compare this response with the
volunteer's response to a reference food. Both for the test and for the
reference foods the volunteer's response over the next two or three hours in
calculated. Then, they repeat the whole process on different days to reduce
the effect of day-to-day variations.

In an older version it was:

The glycemic index of a food is not related to portion size....
...to make a fair comparision tests of the glycemic indexes of food usually
use 50 grams of available carbohydrate in each food. You can eat twice as
many carbohydrates in a food that, for example, has a glycemic index of
50 than one that has a glycemic index of 100 and have the same blood glucose
response. ....
.... For example to test boiled spagetti, the scientists give their subjects
200 grams ov spagetti wich....provide 50 grams of available carbohydrate.

- Hans