From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 02:53:28 -0500
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:54:03 EST Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> But as far as grains are concerned, they remain, as Wally says,
> "completely foreign foods never eaten by humans. . ." (before the
advent of the
> technology necessary to make them even marginally edible by humans)

Ardeith writes:
Once humans learned to hang a skin-pot over a fire,
it is not likely that they ignored the seeds of all the
grasses that grew around the area.  Those seeds
were probably tossed into the pot with anything
else the people gathered that day.........and leaving
those seeds to soak overnight probably led to the
discovery of beer.......

But we definitely did not evolve to eat wheat in the
amounts available today, not did we evolve to eat
the stuff year round......the seeds of the grasses
have a season, just as fruit has a season....grass
seed while still green is chewy and sorta sweet...
only after it ripens does it become hard.....I'd
bet that grass seeds were among the first things
people learned to store for the winter months
.....in those climates where winter is cold and

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.