From:
Diane Heath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:55:19 -0800
Hello Batsheva~

I continue to enjoy your recounts of wild hunting forays.  Makes me wonder where you live and how you do it and whether hunting laws are more amenable there.  You paint a picture which isn't much parallel to lives of small town urbanites like myself.  [Coming out of 4 years vegetarianism, I've always hated those Bambi killers ((=] I'd almost want to order some of your wild harvest from you, though it would not be local to me, and environmental concerns must be important to everyone.

I have always read, though, that wild meats are leaner, in that their muscle meat is more dense {darker too} due to their more active lifestyle.  I certainly know that darker meat is more tasty and seems more beneficial.  I don't know why the holiday craze has people craving the light meat of turkeys...for example.

I always enjoy your posts.  I hope to be able to sample venison one day, or a wild turkey, or local pastured lamb.
It must be very intense and good to hunt these for oneself, and learn how to process the wonderful food...

Diane H.

From Batsheva:

We recently took down a buck, and were able to salvage the ribs, which IMHO, are the best eating on the entire carcass except for the heart and tongue. The fat coming off these ribs was amazing.

From: Diane Heath <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

I restrict myself to pastured fowl and the rest game meats, primarily wild caught [non-endangered] fish and grass fed buffalo. During farmers market months it's a rare treat to enjoy elk or yak, and the hearts especially I consider a delicacy, though to our primal ancestors these meals might have been more usual. Coconut oil is my best friend, however, since I cannot stand the idea of eating raw animal meat products.

Another newbie, enjoying the books of Louis Cordain, Robb Wolff, Ray Audette, and all these very interesting postings,
Diane H.