Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:16:53 -0400
deVries made a post about the apparent change in the composition and
ingredients found in Thai Kitchen Brand Coconut Milk and the inclusion of
guar gum, allegedly to prevent separation.  He found it odd that the Fatty
Acid profile changed significantly and mysteriously so that it now contains
more fat per serving but this added fat appears to be something other than
pure saturated fat.
------------
I sent a letter to the people at Thai Kitchen last week.  I won't post the
entire letter.  E-mail me off list if you want a copy of the letter.

I did let them know about my use and promotion of their product through my
work as a healthy cooking coach, cooking instructor, food writer, and
author, and may disappointment in the apparent change in the product, and
the disappointment expressed by members on this list.  (I have not seen the
new cans yet and still  have plenty of the previous product at home. My
local  health food store, which sells more than 12 cases of Thai Kitchen
coconut milk a month, does not have the changed product yet.

Note:
Several months back I sent the folks at Thai Kitchen's corporate office some
suggestions to pass on to customers about how to deal with cans that have
uneven or separated contents.  "I am constantly explaing to my cooking
students and clients that the separation is natural when the product is cold
or kept in a cool place.  My solution:  Put the entire contents in the
blender, give it a whirl, then pour into a clean jar and refrigerate.  They
contents will rarely every separate again.  They may thicken, but this is
also natural and can be an asset for those using it to replace dairy
products in recipes."

Here is what I got in resonse (from Thai Kitchen):
> From: "Linda Burgo" <[log in to unmask]>

> Wow, I like the blender suggestion!  It is a perfect way to blend the milk.
> Wish I had thought of it.
>
> As to the guar gum addition. Guar gum is a natural fiber. It is used as a
> natural stabilizer to assist in preventing separation of liquids and fats in
> coconut milk. From our understanding all canned coconut milk contains guar
> gum in quantities exceeding those in Thai Kitchen products which are not
> listed in their ingredient statement.  It has been suggested that the
> ingredient Guar gum could be replaced by natural fiber however, the quantity
> is insufficient to register on nutrition facts statement. I hope this helps.

Linda S. Burgo
Thai Kitchen/Epicurean Int'l
510.268.0209 x 103

Here's what you can do.  If you have complaints about Thai Kitchen's change
in formulation of their pure coconut milk, which, unlike many other brands,
contains no sulfites or sugar, please call or e-mail Linda to let her know
this.  Even if you don't use the product, you can do this, to help the
company see that there is sufficient demand for a pure product.

Thanks,

Rachel Matesz
The Health Cooking Coach