From:
Marisa Berntson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 11:18:47 -0500
>>Is it a good thing to achieve the maximum height possible? I know
>>that people who have large/giant breed dogs have to be very careful
>>about feeding their pups because excessive bone growth can lead to
>
>Ardeith writes:
>I've known both Irish Wolfhound and Great Dane breeders
>.......they do indeed have to take great care with the feeding
>of these pups.....they also have to take great care that the
>pups do not injure the growth areas of their bones...

Neither giantism nor dog breeds can be taken as a "normal" extension of
protein supply/ growth. Large dog breeds are purely a human "construct".
Selective breeding for traits seen as desireable have removed them far from
their original genetic "purpose". A Great Dane is no more of a "natural"
size than a Chihuahua. As for it being safe for humans to grow to their
genetic limit of height... *shrugs* how exactly would one find out?? (I knew
I shouldn't have slept through my bio classes).

feeling scientifically stunted,
Marisa