From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:49:51 -0500
On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, ardeith l carter wrote:

> Ardeith:  I like to watch the Olympic swimming events and
> have noticed that the swimmers - while in great shape - all
> have that "smoothing" effect of a fatty layer........Weren't we
> discussing the Aquatic Ape theory awhile back?

All humans have subcutaneous fat, and the amount seems to have a
significant genetic component.  Racially, people of African
descent tend to have less, Caucasians are somewhere in the
middle, and Asians tend to have a bit more.  Bodybuilders try
very hard to reduce subcutaneous fat, since it blurs muscle
definition; some are more successful than others.  I wonder,
though, how much insulation against cold water this fat actually
provides.

> Anyway......humans are the only
> primates who have this layer of fat....according to that
> book.......and it is because we spent so much time wading
> aroung in water early in our development......the fat kept
> our core temps stable......and this is also used to explain
> why only human females have fatty bulbous breasts....it
> keeps milk at the right temp for babies.....(sorry, guys,
> it's not for your delight! ;-o)  all other female primates
> have flat breasts........

I may be biased, but I still prefer the "delight" theory of
boobage.  That is, I think sexual signaling has more explanatory
power than keeping milk at the right temp for babies.  For one
thing, I don't think babies care that much what temp their milk
is.  Another thing is this: If mothers were spending that much
time wading in water up to their breasts, where were they
carrying the babies? Over their heads?  Other primates don't need
hooters; they have genitalia that turn bright red when they're in
heat -- always an ice-breaker at a party.

Now if someone has a theory for men's love-handles, I'm
listening.

Todd Moody