From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 20:14:42 -0700
Wally Day wrote:

> Now, on to fish. I think it's unlikely that a large
> percentage of the population would ever go paleo, but
> I can't help but wonder how they could all be fed if
> it did happen. I doubt very much if we could feed them
> all using range fed animals, so it would seem the
> likely protein source would have to be fish. I wonder:
> What kind of impact would replacing land animal foods
> with seafoods have on the health of each individual?
> Is it possible to "farm" fish without resorting to
> feeding them grains? Or, is it possible to get enough
> food directly from the ocean to feed that many people?

Soapbox time:

Already the oceans are being overfished.  One fishery after
another is collapsing due to the floating factories, driftnetting, and
other destructive practices.  We now see fish in the markets that are
lower and lower on the food chain, meaning that the fish stocks humans
used to eat are unlikely to recover (because we are eating their prey).

Oceanic fish farming, using coastal areas, is eliminating much of the
breeding ground for ocean-going fish.  Thus the wild stocks are
even more depleted, besides being stressed by pollutants, agricultural
runoff, and oil spills.  I don't think we can turn to fish to feed the
exponentially increasing human population.

Off my soapbox

Lynnet