Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:30:01 -0700
This is a really interesting point.

We tend to focus on broad food groups- meat, vegetables, fruit etc. - but none of us truly eat a "paleo" diet if we take that to mean the diet of our African ancestors from (starting point up for consideration - I prefer from when our diet changed and our brains expanded, if you listen to the vegans, they'd like to go back before homo sapiens separated from non-human primates) 1 million years ago - 10,000 years ago (or 70,000 years ago for some, or 400 years ago for others).

I often wonder what we are missing in having such a narrow choice of meats for example.  What about the small animals that William suggests? We've had a lot of discussion of eggs, and "eggs" have come to mean a very narrow subset of the chicken species.  What about other eggs?

I'm not about to start trapping mice and rabbits in my backyard urban environment.  But I do wonder how to get more variety into my diet.

I've started by seeking out bison, elk and venison and using these meats to replace beef in my diet.  (If it's all about the tastebuds, then I'd just eat these animals).  I love pork, but can only have it very limited amounts and not two days in a row (gastrointestinal issues).  I make an effort to eat raw oysters monthly.  I've re-discovered a love of pickled herring.

What else?

gale