From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 21:38:59 -0500
On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Hans Kylberg wrote:

> At 08:22 1998-12-02 -0800, Mary wrote:
> >I read on another list how healthy a paleo ketogenic type of diet is for
> cancer.
> >
> Staffan Lindebergs research in the Kitava Island shows that there is no
> cancer, despite the fact that 80 of the adults are smokers. They are
> tuber growers, and live mainly on yams, fish, coconuts, vegetables, fruit
> and a little pork. They are definitely not low carb dieters, but close to
> a paleodiet. This shows that there are other factors around to prevent
> cancer than a low carbohydrate intake.

Yes, again we have to recognize that there is little reason to
believe that a "typical" paleodiet is/was ketogenic.
Furthermore, while ketosis may slow the growth of some tumors
(not all tumors) I am not aware of any evidence that it cures
them.  Obviously what we want is not slower tumors but no cancer
at all.  The Kitava diet probably has a favorable ratio of w-6 to
w-3 fats, and an unfavorable ratio is beginning to be recognized
as a risk factor for cancer.  The absence of grains is probably a
help for the Kitava as well.  Not only are most grains high in
w-6 but of course they also may contain carcinogenic lectins.

Todd Moody