From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 06:13:38 -1000
Kirt:
>>Are you bummed that instincto has not allieviated your condition?
>>Autoimmune difficulties are said to be relieved by an instinctive regimen,
>>no?

jean-claude:
>FIrst , somebody else other  than me  could get very hurt by a question like
>that , somebody who has his health seriously challenged ( even  his life
>threatenedin the case of many autoimmune diseases like  addison's) don't
>need to be
>reminded that they are bummed out ,they know first hand, they need more
>caring and supportive energy!!

They were fair questions for a health seeker such as yourself. I wasn't
"reminding" you of anything, only asking--since I assume you had some hopes
of a more full recovery on an instincto regime. You never spoke of it
directly until now, that I can remember.

>I don't get offended because i don't believe in health in a sick world, as
>long as there is one person in the world  able to lack compassion,
>understanding and loving attitude ,there is little chance for anyone of us
>to be really healthy.

I don't follow the logic here.

>My adrenals were already unfunctionning  for 8 years *before* i started
>instinctive eating , an atrophied gland is as unlikely to grow back as a leg
>which has been cut off  or a severe scar on the skin to disappear.

Maybe, maybe not. The claims of instinctos are pretty grandious.

>I understand that maybe you are yourself expecting too much from a change in
>diet , and certainly more than any well rooted practitioner of instinctive
>nutrition  will claim.

Probably. I certainly didn't understand how serious your condition was,
then or now. My question and your answer brings it much more clearly to me.

>I understand from the previous, that we are not talking about the same
>thing, i personally never understood the guidelines of instinctive nutrition
>as taking priority over the instinctive appeals and responses of the body
>and i can see that those guidelines taken as rules can only lead to
>rebellion in the subject of their authority.

Why should this be the automatic response? It certainly isn't mine. I am
just pointing out that instinctos like to have it both ways. One one hand,
ah, its all so noble savage and following primal urges and letting one's
instinct have its pleasure; and on the other hand it is a flowchart of
decision making and guidelines and pitfalls which have very little to do
with instinct and everything to do with ideation.

>Those guidelines are there to help the beginners and to save them time at
>experimenting too scatterdly, not to be taken strictly as laws. I have been
>myself very loose in my practice and it took me years to finally recognise
>the well founded basis of those guidelines.

Fine. But it is not instinct. And it is not simply following your sensory
pleasure. It is, as you say below, a very big bit of DECIDING from ideas
what to eat.

>That is precisely the point of instinctive eating to ASK signs
>from the body
>not  to DECIDE from ideas about what it need.

>I am glad that your daughter can have her freedom . I will be not so pleased
>if you were enforcing the "instincto rules" on her.

I don't understand this. She doesn't have "freedom" of every food (no
dairy, no grain, no junk) but she has "freedom" between raw and cooked. But
surely, admit it ;) you would be more pleased if she ate only raw. To tell
me otherwise would mean that your children may as well eat cooked, no?

>I am happy to see that
>bringing some lightness and pleasure around food in your family became a
>priority ( which is the goal of eating by instinct ).

Huh? I've seen many SAD households who had lightness and pleasure with food
but they are hardly the goal of eating by instinct.

>That is nothing new that children are able to regulate the overall intake of
>foods in a balanced way when they have free choice of food,
>cooked or not (experiments have been made)

So why do instinctos limit themselves to raw food?

>The phenomenon of loss of pleasure (of luminous phases) is a clear
>indication that something in the diet is overeaten.

So why do so many instinctos overeat?

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft