From:
Eliot Martin Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:38:35 -0500
 There is just so much pre-conceived noise about these issues I have
decided to simply opt out.  I am going off both lists for the time
being, but will likely return to the paleo list in the near future.  I
must say, us paleo folk are much more level-headed bunch, just more
grounded in reality and common sense than the CR people, who, to me,
seem like so many Tom-Cruise-like automatons.  Maybe that's how they see
us, I don't know, and don't much care either.  They make me want to go
Arghhhhhh!  Anyway, here's my final rant to them, which might be
interesting to you as it was a thought of mine that occurred after
reading Neanderthin many moons ago, one that I haven't since come
across... it's my very own take on grain-eating so you can quote me on
it if you like!   The basic premise of the idea is that grains arose
approx 12,000 years ago, in a time that we call the beginning of the
neolithic period and this time period is the time period in which
semi-urbanised, agro-based organised societies arose.  We all agree with
that.  Well what else happened at this time?  Coincidentally, the rise
of slavery!  Grains were a cheap way to feed slaves. Cheap labor, cheap
life.  It didn't much matter that grain-fed humans lived shorter lives
and came down with osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and so on, they were
cheap and expendable.  Then, as now, grains were 3x cheaper than protein
and so it was just an economic non-decision.  That's why your vegetables
come with a tortilla wrap, why your thin hamburger comes with a bun, and
why, if you're really stupid, you'll just order your morning muffin or
pancakes or your evening plate of pasta or rice -- it's cheap filler,
and you won't know the difference till its too late -- if ever!

~Eliot