From:
Marsha in Texas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 17:40:57 -0500
-----Original Message-----
Date:    Fri, 9 Apr 1999 19:38:53 -0500
From:    "Aaron A. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: home-grown food

Does anyone know whether there is much threat in the city of chemicals
making home-grown food unhealthy?  The reason I ask is that I knew a home
builder that used commercial pesticide around the foundation of his new
homes that would kill bugs for years, and I wonder if it seeps out into
the rest of the yard.

yes...i met a woman at my allergist's who unknowingly bought a brand
new home in sugarland, texas that'd been built on the animal dipping area
of the ranchland subdivided for single family homes. she was the only one
in her family to suffer consequences. but they were major. she was a wreck
and could no longer work. they were going to have to raise the house off the
foundation and seal it. then replace all the flooring. plus she could not
walk
in her own yard. the dips used on the cattle spread out beyond just the
holding stalls. my home was once in the country [cattle guard crossings at
the end of the street] but now it's a busy street...i worry about car
exhaust
getting into fruit trees, etc.  marsha in texas