From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:00:19 -0500
Todd > I probably shouldn't be on this list any longer, since I no longer think I really understand what it means to say that we "evolved to eat a plant."

Todd, forgive me.  But your thinking is an excellent example of theory obscuring reality.  Forgot to carry the two now the sun doesn't exist.  Truth is, things are just not as complex as you make them out.

We are *probably* programmed to absolutely gorge ourselves on carbs.  And it's probably the case that we suffer the effects of excess insulin now because back then carbs were just not available in quantity day in and day out.  And maybe we wouldn't have passed up a tiny little potato (surely they were tiny then, right?)  All of that's theory.

The sun is this.  Carbohydrates cause myriad health problems for at least three quarters of the population so we should limit our intake.  Dairy -- at least the dairy available to 99% of the world's population -- causes myriad health problems so we should limit our intake.  Beans contain poisonous lectins.  Grains are the major cause of a host of health problems, not just as sources of excess carbohydrate but because of their molecular mimicking properties.

Does the sun above fit paleo theory?  To this observer, there are no conflicts whatsover.  The paleo explanation makes more sense than any other I'm aware of.  But I'm not going to put my faith in theory -- I'm betting on the results themselves.  Since I've started eating this way, my health has taken an absolute 180.  Friends, family, my doctors simply are unable to comprehend.  Never felt better.  I suspect I'm not alone.