From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:50:36 -0500
Tom wrote:

>Phosphor wrote:
>

>>>"Comparative and experimental data show that modern >humans, common
>>>

>>chimpanzees, gorillas, and orangutans show >close similarity in most
>>features of gut anatomy as well as >pattern of digestive kinetics
>>
>>the apes can digest cellulose, we can't. seems a big difference to me. I
>>guess that's why you haven't eaten a bowl full of forest leaves recently.
>>

>Chimps and orangs don't digest cellulose, do they? Thought
>that was only gorillas.

As far as I know, the gorilla can't digest cellulose either, on its own
steam.  But the gut hosts symbionts that can do so, and the animal gets
some of the benefits.  We share this ability with the gorilla and other
primates, but of course its usefulness depends on how much gut we have
to devote to this.  I believe all primates try to take advantage of
tender, immature shoots and leaves, because the amount of cellulose in
them is less.

If one tried to follow a "gorilla diet," I suppose one would eat mostly
things like cabbage, lettuce, and other tender greens, and some bugs.
 I'm not sure, but I think the quantity of roughage would pose a problem
for most humans after a while.  I don't have any data, however.

Todd Moody