From:
Joan Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2009 17:10:42 -0400
William says:

"Become a lazy male hermit who lives in a forest too far to easily drive
to the junk  food store (AKA supermarket) and has nothing in the house
that tastes anywhere near as good as I imagine your meat loaf tastes,
and never was much good at cooking. Except roast beef."

Actually, I was thinking that exactly the opposite strategy works: finding
or forming a support group.  All the other major dietary philosophies have them.
Vegans have tons of them.  You can go on meetup.com and put in your zip code and
there will probably be a vegan support group you can connect with.  Same with the
all raw eaters. Macrobiotics have national institutes and network through natural
food stores.  The Weston A. Price Foundation (the Nourishing Traditions publisher)
has hundreds of chapters in multiple countries.  But if you're paleo, the best you
can do is connect up with the Atkins people or the South Beach people or one of the
other low carb groups, and who knows what kind of strange chemicalized concoctions
those people are going to be consuming.

My personal support group is the nutrition class I teach.  The day after I teach
that class, I can go to a small child's birthday party and look at the cake and
everything I've been teaching about white flour and white sugar and hydrogenated
fats (or, in the case of the more expensive cake, butter from abused milk cows
in factory farms) will come back to me and it doesn't even look like food anymore.