Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:45:42 -0500
<<> My friend is taking Xenical and she just added a carb
blocker, how safe
> can this be? One is blocking 30% fat grams, the other is
blocking 38 carb
> grams.
> Plus, she said her Dr. does not know she is taking the
carb blocker.
> Together we have been trying to search the internet for
information on
> taking both blockers, but have found none.  Can anyone
offer an input on
> this?>>

  Hi Trish,

  The thing they are calling a carb blocker contains alpha-amylase.  It is
an enzyme that breaks down large starch molecules to dextrins and then to
maltose.  Maltose then is said to break down into glucose.  Our pancreas
secretes this enzyme when we eat starches (corn, potatoes, bread, pasta,
etc.)

Generally, these products contain Phaseolus Vulgaris (the alpha-amylase
comes from here)
Ginkgo Biloba, Panax Ginseng, Rosmarinus Officinalis, Vit A, Vit C, and Vit

I'd be more concerned about the Xenical (Orlistat).  Orlistat is a potent,
specific and long-acting lipase inhibitor. It exerts its therapeutic
activity in the lumen of the stomach and upper small intestine by forming a
covalent bond with the active serine site of gastric and pancreatic lipases.
The inactivated enzyme is thus rendered unable to hydrolyze dietary fats in
the form of triglycerides into absorbable free fatty acids and
monoglycerides. As undigested triglycerides cannot be absorbed, a caloric
deficit arises which has a positive effect on weight control.

  Here is a list of side effects of Xenical:

Gastrointestinal tract: abdominal pain/discomfort, flatulence, liquid
stools, soft stools, rectal pain/discomfort, tooth disorders, gingival
disorders; respiratory tract: upper respiratory tract infection, lower
respiratory tract infection; immune system: influenza; central nervous
system: headache; reproductive disorders: menstural disorders; psychiatric
disorders: anxiety, general: fatigue; urinary tract: urinary tract
infection.  There is also a decreased absorption of  vitamins D, E, and
beta-carotine.

Siobhan