Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 20:11:22 -0400
Jason Marsh wrote about a friend who tried a Paleo diet (whatever that meant
to him) and felt terrible.  Jason asked:
> >"Do u think that he should continue to eat paleo even though his body is
> >telling him not to?"

How do we know what his body is telling him?  Did it say something
explicitly??  A lot can get lost in the translation!

>>> ... smoking isn't food  The analogy was to help give an example of  how
something that is taken away can make someone feel bad. Smokers should quit
even though they will feel bad initially. True, this is because of an
addiction but maybe food can have a similar effect. I don't know.

Should sugar addicts also quit even if they feel bad?  How about people who
are soda pop addicts and realize they are wasting their money or their
family's money on 5-6 cans of pop a day?  How about candy addicts?  Bread
addicts?/

Sugar and soda pop aren't really foods either...but many people feel
terrible when they take these out of their diets.  They are so used to
having a caffeine and sugar rush from many cans of pop a day.

I run into people who drink no water at all--only pop and milk.  They are
bound to go
through a period of adjustment--mentally and physically.  For that matter,
when people who are not used to exercising start an exercise regimen, they
may feel terrible (as they define it!!) at first because they are not used
to exertion, not used to sore muscles, or breathing hard or deeply.....
there are things that nourish the body and things that don't.

I agree with the person who says, most people in America expect instant
restults!!  They didn't get sick or weak or overfat overnight.  They won't
experience all the benefits overnight either.  Patience and trust in nature
are called for here!

>>>Why would a person not do well on a paleo diet? Would this be long term
(forever) or is it similar to the smoking analogy. You may have to go
through some discomfort to become healthier.

Don't you get it????  There is no ONE PALEO DIET.  If you talk to 5 or 10 or
20 people on this list, they may all have a slightly different practice.
There are many ways to eat a Paleo diet, many interpretations, styles,
nuances, personal twists one may add to or follow.

My point is that, we don't know what your friend ate.  If he didn't feel
good, it's possible that he
(a) didn't eat enough at each meal or in a day;
(b) didn't eat often enough;
(c) didn't eat enough protein or fat;
(d) didn't eat enough produce (or ate too much fruit and not enough
vegetables...)
(e) didn't drink enough water;
(f) was in ketosis but didn't expect it or know
what it was;
(g) wasn't meeting his EFA needs;
(h) had too little variety and so missed out on some important nutrients.
(i) was used to feeling heavy after meals and felt uneasy feeling light
after meals.
(j) was not used to sleeping less or...... who knows what else.

.... If one does not feel well on a Paleo diet (of nourishing whole foods),
the problem may not be with the
diet but with how the person is applying the principles.  One must adjust
things to one's particular needs, activity level. peculiarities, etc.  This
is not a static thing....one's needs may change over time, as one's weight,
body fat, hormones, or other variables also change.

Rachel
(who is rambling....too many computer hours today!!! :-o)