From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:53:57 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

>I suppose that depends, if such a lectin molecude makes is through the
>intestinal walls. Most lectin-testing -at leats that of D'Adamo- is
>done with blood. Normally food shouldn't come in contact with blood,
>or only digested.
>The main miracle seems to be, why some lectins would enter into the blood.
>Or probable what enter into the blood will normally be other proteins of the
>carrying creature, like gluten.

[snip]

>Can lectins cause the malfunction of the gut-wall-passing system?

This is the important point, I think.  If the gut wall cells are also
ABO then those lectins that agglutinate cells of a certain type
will cause agglutination in the gut wall tissue itself, which it seems
to me would affect its integrity.  Once that occurs, then gliadin
molecules from gluten and other intruders can also pass through.  As
Ben pointed out, there are other lectins that do other
kinds of harm, but the question is how do they get into the system at
all?  The answer (or part of the answer) may well be that
the ABO-agglutinating lectins compromise the gut wall.  At least, it
makes sense to suppose so.

If this theory is correct, then avoiding the ABO-agglutinating lectins
for one's blood type should result in increased protection
against other invading agents, including other lectins.

The way I see it, the fact that ABO is a blood type is of secondary
importance to the fact that it is a general tissue type.  If
D'Adamo had called his book Eat Right for your Gut it would have made
the matter clearer.

Todd Moody