From:
Arthur McConnachie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:11:29 -0700
"Dr Bernarr Zovluck" wrote:

> I have supervised the water fasting of thousands of people and animals. I
> have never witnessed their cannibalizing their muscles nor their accelerating
> fat gains!

Then I challenge you, doctor. Choose a patient who will fast long enough to
lose 20 lbs. Have that patient flex his bicep. Take a measurement. Then
measure that same bicep again after the fast. It will be smaller. Why?
Because the body uses up muscle tissue in addition to stored bodyfat when
one fasts. If you think that a person loses NO muscle during a fast, let me
inform you that you are mistaken.

I am not against fasting and do not question its therapeutic value, but you
do lose muscle when you fast. This muscle loss will cause you to gain weight
(bodyfat) if you eat the same number of calories as before the fast, simply
because you don't have the same amount of muscles to burn them.

Arthur McConnachie