From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:06:41 +0200
Rainah cited:

>``As these products prove safe, using an independent and objective

>eye,
>we must use their immense potential to wage world war against hunger

>and
>for a sustainable future,´´ U.S. Agriculture Secretary Dan

>Glickman....
"prove safe" for how many years?
Using a profit oriented eye.

>Examples of how GM is now in place in the US food system:
>Dairy -- ``Bovine somatotropin (BST),´´ also known as bovine growth
>hormone (BGH), is a protein produced by cattle. The gene for BST has
>been cloned into bacterial cells, a ``recombinant´´ or genetically
>engineered version (RBGH) used to boost milk output in dairy herds.
>About 30 percent of herds are affected.

How nice. And how do the RBGH cows end? Good Appetite consuming
RBGH (bovine growth hormone, engineered version) in milk and meats.
Does somebody hope to grow faster? When to stop growing?

>It also
>includes ``Roundup Ready´´ corn that withstands Monsanto´s
>Roundup, a popular herbicide worldwide.
So if these plants are used, they can dump as much herbicide as they
want on the plants. Wonderfully soil conserving.
Thats what genetic engeneering on crop plants is used for.
Plants are already so far ok.
Just lets put some bacteria or fish gene in it so we can use
more HERBICIDES.

We are talking here much about allergy problems caused by foodstuffs
that our bodies are not adapted to for a long time
(only for 10000 years or so).
Soch proteins are called foreign by some.
How foreign will then proteins be,
which are produced by fish genes inside a tomatoe?

What will people with known (possibly deadly) allergies do,
when they encouter fish proteins in a potatoe or calf?

IMO gene technology is the farest thinkable step away from paleofood.
IMO there is no alternative to organic farming, on the long run.

regards

Amadeus

---
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net