Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 01:20:41 -0500
Becoming more mysterious, instead of less.
I can't make pemmican of kidney fat because it sets/freezes/solidifies
at 105°F on my cheap thermometer, so the pemmican would no longer be raw
if mixed at that temperature.
It also makes it taste like paraffin candle wax, though my stomach
doesn't object.

When mixed with half muscle fat the taste is once more something like
cooked beef, and the setting temperature is low enough not to cook the
ground jerky.
Neither fat is grassfed organic, and the kidney fat has the familiar
smell of DPW.

Wonder if people used bear fat to make pemmican, when it was staple
winter food?

William