From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:05:55 -0500
I would never get amalgams. Studies show that when you eat acidic
foods your saliva
has higher concentrations of mercury. The fillings loose their mercury
and it
leaches into your body. There is  never, ever a reason to opt for
amalgams. They
are poison and although you won't drop dead from them, you should
always avoid them
and avoid dentists who use them (out of ignorance.)

That said, my rule on dentistry is to do as little as possible. I do
get routine
cleanings. But I would not get my (old) mercury fillings removed
unless there is a
reason. One thing that bothers me is that with most dentists when they
drill out
the fillings the air is filled with mercury dust and mercury vapor
(unless the
dentist has very special hood equipment with ventilation etc.) That
might be worse.
And eventually the amalgams get old and they'll remove them anyway.
Fillings get
recurrent decay around them and need to be replaced eventually.
Sometimes the teeth
have been weakened from the filling and the teeth crack badly and need
root canal
(if you want to save the tooth) in any event which all means that the
amalgam will
be removed.

I opt for gold or for visible portions composite. Composite is a light
cured acid
etched resin (plastic.) It doesn't dissolve away in the saliva to my
knowledge. I
believe it is relativey benign.

I have had one root canal that I needed. They fill these with gutta
percha, which
is a rubber like product (unless they use something newer, but I think
they still
use this). I am not sure it's wonderful for you. They also tend to put
in some type
of antiseptic material into the canal. This lasts a long time and is
of course
designed to reduce infection (which can occur anyway.) Probably not
very healthy
either.

If I don't need dentistry, I won't have it. I won't get my amalgams
removed until I
really need to. If I were having problems, I would consider having
them removed but
as a last resort.

--Richard