From:
Johnny Battle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:31:56 -0800
One of the attractive features of the Paleo diet, at least as I understand
Cordain's version of it, is its simplicity and intuitiveness. You eat as much as
you want whenever you want of what you want, just so long as it's of fruits,
vegetables, and lean meat. This is how I always thought diet should be, and I'll
bet it's basically how humans ate for tens of thousands of paleolithic years. I
think it is a proclivity common to most humans for that very reason. I
seriousely doubt paleo people worried that they were eating too much fruit. If
they had it, they ate it. I remember a walk down a country lane that I once took
with a group of family and friends. We happened unexpectedly upon a cherry tree
standing in the yard of a deserted house. It was loaded with the ripest,
sweetest, most delicious cherries I've ever had. We had a feast. A cherry orgy.
The rest of the walk was spontaneousely cancelled by tacit common consent. Then,
as suddenly as we had begun, we all felt like stopping. Gobs and gobs of
cherries where still on the tree, but the internal appetite mechanisms we had
inherited from before recorded time kicked in and worked as advertised. Since
beginning this diet a little over two weeks ago that's how I've eaten all my
meals. And without refined sugar and grains in the meal, I find that I feel like
stopping after a reasonable amount, an amount that doesn't leave me moaning and
dull, the way pizza used to. I don't count calories or calculate protein/carbo
ratios. I feel great. And in the morning when the naked, hungry caveman steps on
the scales, he doesn't say,  "Uggh!"