Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 21:09:36 PDT
Thank you Don for taking the time to answer. But...

>(1) Take up foraging. There are different books depending on where in >the
>country you live. (I have a list of recommended books for the NE >US.) My
>first outing is tomorrow in Central Park. I'll report back to >the list
>afterwards just what foods I bring home.

This is pretty interesting, really, but do-able only in summer I guess. I
live in Montreal, very cold winter and there's not much nature still around.
I will try to grab a book on wild foods and berries of Canada and prepare an
expedition wherever's a clump o'trees left!

>(2) Start a garden. Though berry bushes can take a few years to get >going.
>Then if you can't afford a freezer you can take up canning.

Hmmm..Kind of hard to do living in a 4th floor 1 bedroom appartment!

>(4) Fishing. Do you live near a body of water that isn't too polluted?
>Startup costs shouldn't be too high.

Years ago I tried fishing on the St-Lawrence River waterfront, near my apt..
I'm extremely happy to have wasted my day and caught nothing, because I
learned afterwards that it's one of the most polluted ever, with PCB wastes
and tons of old, dirty, sodium-saturated snow being dumped in it each year!

BTW, I found your suggestions to be most creative, Don!

Medusa