From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:23:09 -0400
On Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:18:49 -0400, Wade Reeser <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>Hey Ray, what are you going to imply with your wolf's-story?
>>That some humans still bear neanderthal-genes?
>>Take it as a fact, their story did not continue,

>The point being that the DNA analysis is wrong.  You really should look up
>some
>references on both neoteny and the type of DNA analysis for dating.  In
>short,
>the 'DNA dating' technique makes certain _assumptions_ about the time
>necessary
>to change various genes in the sequence.  Neoteny as a theory provides a
>way for
>relatively large changes in DNA to occur in a much shorter time.  The wolf-dog
>example is strong evidence that the DNA dating has serious
problems.  Also, it
>would be helpful to look up some references on the Neaderthal debate; there is
>no concensus wether Neaderthal are our direct ancestors or not (or a few other
>possibilities).  The DNA dating was supposed to be big evidence for the
>'not' camp
>but it seems clear to me and alot of others that this is not the case.

I still have to take a closer look at the neoteny theory, ok.
I got my neanderthal information from the well acknowledged german
journal "AID (Archäologie in Deutschland) - special neanderthal issue.
Rhight, DNA-Analysis makes assumptions about how quick the
(mitochondrial) genes change over time--- but that only
changes the time of the split up point.
There is no doubt, that neanderthal is _very_ far away from humans,
much more than any present human from another,
may it be south american indian to irish red-haied ladies.

Neanderthals ca
n also be easyly distinguished by their bones, especially
at the skull (chin, forehead).
No neanderthal skeleton can be mixed up with a inuit or chinese or
viking one.
The neanderthal archeological records stop rather suddenly at about
33000BC.
If they would have mixed with cro-magnons then mix-humens should be found.
If they would have modified even very fast,
still not the whole population all over the world would have changed all
in the same way, all in a sudden, including the bone signs and
mitochondrial DNA.
Or would you disagree on that?

In my reading, state of science says presently: Neanderthals are
_not_ anchestors of present humans.

regards

Amadeus