From:
Kathleen Lunson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:38:51 -0400
I talked to a local farmer and rancher about free range chicken.  He reminded me that they are prey, that any producer who claims that the chicken are true free range, but who lives in an area with predators, might be exagerrating the degree to which the chickens are truly free to range.

Given the fact that here in Dallas, Texas I still see coyote within the city limits, I suspect that all free range might mean around here is chicken that aren't confined to a coop, but who are allowed into a small fenced yard.

I am also wondering if true free range chicken might not have been very small, lean birds.  Just speculating based on what quail and dove are like.  I wonder if it's possible for a chicken, or a turkey for that matter, to get plump without human intervention.

Kathleen