From:
Laura Paris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:59:55 -0800
After years of interest in trying this, I finally made my first batch today!
I used coconut butter, since there's no way I accumulate enough other appropriate animal fat to use. So I made beef jerky (totally unspiced) and then ground it in the food processor; however it didn't grind up as small as I thought it would, and the machine was going crazy. I had to hold it still so it wouldn't jump all over the counter. I was a little concerned I'd break it. It's a mini-processer, but it works fine on grinding
everything else. So the jerky was still fairly chunky, and I thought it should be finer. Should it? I tried adding the melted coconut oil into the food processor to see if it would help mix/grind, but it actually made the situation worse, and the machine seemed to strain more. I then mixed in currants by hand (I wanted to use dried cherries or cranberries, but I can't find any here in Santa Cruz that are pit less and unsweetened -
anyone have a source? Or recommend an other types of dried fruit?). I spooned the whole mixture into cupcake tins & refrigerated, but I'm a little skeptical on how it will turn out, both the mix of ingredients (taste) and the chunkiness of the jerky. Calling for help from the experts.....and recipes!

Lauri Paris