From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:09:24 -0800
I have mixed feelings about stevia. On the one hand it is natural, on the other there is some research suggesting it may have deleterious effects on male fertility in rats. Haven't found anything more on that, so I don't know how valid the research may be. Also, some people feel that sweeteners with a bitter aftertaste may stimulate the release of insulin.

Although I know little about erythritol in particular, my sense (based on suggestions in the literature and anecdotal evidence) is that sugar alcohols in general are more readily absorbed than they want you to believe, and for me the line between raising blood sugar (due to some absorption) and osmotic diarrhea is very fine.

That said, I use stevia and sucralose occasionally while trying to limit my sweets to seldom and slight.

Andrea