From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 18:31:41 +0000
>Questions:
>What bones are easily stored and contain good amounts of marrow?
>How big is the liver, and into what thickness should I get it cut?
>From a steer, do the sweetbreads include the thymus and pancreas?
>Can all of the organs be frozen, and for how long?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Brad

The liver is, and this is a guess, over five pounds in a big steer. I'd get
3/4 to 1" slices for ease in handling and freezing. Steers, being grown, do
not have big sweetbreads, which are technically just the thymus. If you get
the pancreas, you can use it like liver, or make it into pate, since the
texture is a bit mushy. Freeze everything, it'll keep just like meat.

Marrow will be most plentiful in big weight bearing bones like femurs.
However, best bone broth comes from smaller, more complex bones with lots
of joint cartilage, like necks, joints, feet... I'm sure you won't have
trouble using it all. Tomo and I are jealous:)

ginny and Tomo, who got a 40 pound block of turkey necks yesterday

All stunts performed without a net!