From:
Jim Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:44:49 +0930
"Phosphor [log in to unmask] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" wrote:

> He assured us
> > that although the goanna was "good tucker" there was no "oil" and
> > nothing from the goanna could be used as a medicine for aches pains and
> > muscular injuries.
>
> the use of real goanna oil commercially died out quite a while ago I think,
> probably early this century.  the aborigine you spoke with may have had no
> more idea of its original use than I did of the use of shark liver oil to
> light lamposts!

If he was the only source, I would have little difficulty with the
issue. However, this was one of those ongoing things that went on
literally for *years*. Many, many people were of the same opinion.
People that *should* have known. And not a *single* contradiction.

The answer was always the same, "there is no oil available from goannas,
it is an urban legend that has grown from the company name 'Goanna
Oil'".

However, the internet is littered with (apparently legitimate)
references to oil from goannas.

Like I said last time - I am perplexed! :)

Jim Walsh
(and probably getting a little too far from topic..)