From:
David Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 15:02:14 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Paleolithic Eating Support List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Batsheva
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 12:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Bulk] Re: Ancestral hunter-gatherers had clogged arteries?

So this is a question I've been harboring for the last year......

Can the body differentiate between paleo friendly insulin producing foods
vs. neolithic?  And is the effect of paleo insulin producing foods as
damaging?

The only insulin producing foods I eat are bananas topped with raw almond
butter  and some cooked yams that I slather with red palm oil.   Supposedly
Dr. Oz is saying 1 TB per day of unprocessed uncooked  extra virgin red palm
oil cleans the arterial walls  of build up, and helps prevent Alzheimers by
keeping the brain's  circulatory system  unclogged as well...  I probably
average 1/2 yam per day and a banana every 3rd day.  I have been taking
Ultra K-2 daily for the last year.

Will my body be producing arterial crud regardless of whether I'm eating
yams/bananas or if I was eating  any starchy food like white rice or
potatoes?

I'm going for my yearly check up and will report back what my blood profile
looks like.  Usually I have very low triglycerides and maybe my bad LDL is
borderline but my good HDL is always way up there in the great range....

Best,
Batsheva, Cavegirl

As I see it the difference is between Fructose and glucose. Fructose has to
be processed out by the liver and glucose does not. High fructose
consumption is linked to all sorts of problems including diabetes, gout and
high triglycerides. I think many people's problems with paleo has to do with
too high a consumption of fruit. From a paleo perspective fruit consumption
was a once a year occasion. Tubers will store all year, fruit wont.
I did the potato "paleo-hack" for 2 weeks. Just ate white potatoes for 2
weeks. My morning blood sugar was in the low 70s even though I ate all my
calories from potatoes.
Diabetes runs rampant in my family all my mother and all my aunts and uncles
have it. One aunt controls (~100 blood sugar in am) by a very low carb paleo
diet.
Once I cut out ALL fructose containing foods. My morning blood sugar dropped
to the 70-80 morning level. It used to be in the 95-105 level in the am. I
basically eat meat, green leafy vegetables and low fructose tubers. The only
fruit I eat is the occasional fried plantain. My rosacea also went away.
This may not apply to anyone else, however, it is my experience. My morning
blood sugar is lower than when I did a super low carb diet.
-David