From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 18:28:09 -0500
Amadeus, I want to call your attention especially to this
particular facet of the Stahl article.

She mentions that chimps get only about 4% of their food from
animal sources (that's by weight, not calories).  But they spend
about 38% of their food-gathering time getting this 4%.  This
suggests, as Stahl also infers, that there must be something of
great importance in that animal food, for the chimps to spend
such a disproportionate amount of time securing it.

I would add that a similar observation applies to those human
populations that could, in their environment, subsist on a
vegetarian diet.  But they don't; they go out of their way to get
animal foods.

Stahl thinks it's the added protein that they are seeking.  I am
inclined to agree.

Todd Moody