From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:03:41 -0500
On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:19:26 -0800, Wally Day <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> From my own experience I know that you can eat
>> unground grains (e.g. spelt) when soaked (or
>> sprouted) for a few days.
>
>I've had a few of the different sprouted grains and
>seeds that can be had at the local grocer - like
>alfalfa, a mixture that includes radish and some
>others, bean sprouts... I'm curious though. What other
>grains can be sprouted and eaten? Is wheat considered
>a "sproutable"? Corn? Barley? Oats? Rice?

Basically all seeds can be sprouted -
if they can't - they wouldn't be living seeds.

My first experience was some spelt left over in a cup for a few days.
Then they were still whole grains. Edible but a little chewy.
Kind of demanding for more after the first try.

I've seen a restaurant kitchen where they sprout various cereal grains
in buckets with a little net-like cloth bound around the opening.
So the seeds can be watered (once a day or so) and then turned around so
that the humidity can flow away.

I myself use something similar. A glass in which I put a small handfull of
some seeds, with a plastic topping I can leave turned around after watering.
This works quite well in 2-3 days.
It works best if I put the glass in the fridge overnight.

I'm particularly fond of barley - it has a slight bitter taste - very good
if they are 2-4 cm long.

Delicacies for me are sprouted sunflowers and sesame seeds.
The sunflower seed can be sprouted only to 1/2 cm sprout length with my
device.
If I could sprout sunflowers for 12 days -hmm is that good. The little
plants are some 5-6 cm long then and very nutty tasty.
But this is more difficult. The seed dislike too much humidity. You ought to
set them onto a substrate I dont have.

Sesame sprouts are more the bitter type- I like them very much.

Buckwheat I watered a day or so, then they begin to sprout and form a kind
of mush in a strange gel-like fluid.
Tasty too and a good add on (as raw salad with capers and herbs).

What I dislike is sprouted lentils.

Cereals really multifold their B-Vitamin contents when sprouted.
Even unsprouted grains are very high in B-vitamins - sprouts are gigantic.

For all I use organic items only. I'm sure these are more tasty (not only
more healthy). Like most vegetables, which are much more tasty organic.

I haven't tried what Jean-Claude reported: to let Walnuts soak and grow a
little. I suppose it tastes great.

I hope someone may get some inspiration from this.

Amadeus