From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 06:49:51 -0500
On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 13:48:21 -0600, Theola Walden Baker
<[log in to unmask]> cited:

>.. The ingestion of small
>amounts sometimes provokes an anaphylactic reaction. However, it remains
>controversial which is the major allergen responsible for such reactions.
>..

If you cook buckwheat, there's a reddish foamy substance with a bitter
taste which should be thrown away while cooking.  This substance increases
photosensibility.
However allergies... a anaphylactic reaction can come from *any* protein (or
general substance, but mostly it's a protein).

Has anyone tried sprouted or soaked buckwheat?
I doesn't look very nice, because there's a kindof slimy substance between
the seeds. But it tastes good and can be eaten raw (with capers!).

Buckwheat is a great source of niacin, that's why your message caught my
eye.
Niacin is the vitamin that's linked to tryptophan (try can be made to
niacin) thus serotonin, thus sleep and mental functions. And coffee (it
contains trigonell, a niacin predecessor).
Maybe light exposure (try and vitamin D are related).

I think a lot of strange habits and nutrition bottlenecks could be driven
by niacin.
The coffee habit, insomnia, unsatisfying actions of this vitamin.

Generally meats are good sources of niacin (counted per kcal) while
few plants good sources it. Buckwheat is. Some 600 or 900 kcal buckwheat
(I'd have to run the query again) delivered the niacin for a day.
Some mushrooms.
And meats starting at about 400 or 500 g meat
- this is sounding much for most consumers
but as the meat (of wild animals) is lean, it's not much in calories (and
high on my list).

regards

Amadeus