From:
Stan Marks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:00:53 -0600
I've been a deer hunter most of my life, but this weekend will be my first
hunt since I discovered the "paleo" concept, and I have a few questions for
those who might be able to answer them.

I've always butchered my own venison, but I typically remove the meat from
the bones (except for the shank portion of the legs, which gets cut up into
soup bones) and trim as much of the fat from the meat as I possibly can. The
reason I bone out the meat is to save freezer space...not to mention that
cutting bones is more work. The reason I trim the fat is because venison fat
- while it is fine to eat *while it is hot* - tends to get very pasty and
sticks to the roof of the mouth as it cools off. Very unpleasant!

Since I discovered the paleo idea, however, I've been wondering if I
shouldn't save and use more of the bones, such as the larger leg bones, for
their marrow content. I've also wondered if I should trim as much of the fat
from the meat as I do, since wild game fat does tend to have a better
balance of saturated and monounsaturated fats and higher levels of Omega-3
fatty acids. Any thoughts on this?

Also, has anyone had any experience with using venison suet (the internal
fat from the kidney area)? Can it be rendered into a usable state, the same
as beef or pork suet, and used to make pemmican, for instance?

Lastly, although I enjoy beef or pork liver, occasionally, I've never
bothered much with venison liver (or any of the other internal organs, for
that matter)...yet I know a lot of people relish deer liver and heart. I
would appreciate any advice on preparation and cooking of of these organ
meats. Particularly, I would like to know how to deal with the "skin", or
membrane, on the outside of the liver. Is that usually trimmed of, somehow,
or is it left intact and cooked? Also, I've noticed that older deer tend to
have liver flukes infesting their livers. Does they ruin the entire liver,
or can the affected areas be trimmed out.

Lastly, do any of you use any other organ meats from venison, such as the
kidneys or brains? If so, any advice you can offer on their preparation
would be appreciated.

Stan